TEXT WITH QUESTIONS.
Read the text and answer the questions:
On November 5th 1605, Guy Fawkes and his friends decided to place gunpowder under the British parliament. They wanted to kill James 1st because he was a protestant English King. But James 1st didn't die. Before the explosion, he received an anonymous letter to warn him of a danger. So the conspirators were captured and tortured for treason.
English people thought it was a good decision. So on the 5th of November every year, British children celebrated Guy Fawkes Night. They make a model of Guy with old clothes. Then they walk down the streets shouting "A penny for a Guy". With the money, they buy fireworks which explode in the sky. And they collect wood and paper to make a big fire called a bonfire and to burn the guy. Finally they cook potatoes and sausages in the fire. They have a great time!
1. What was Guy Fawkes's religion?
2. How did he want to kill the King?
a) with a gun b)with poison c)with an explosion
3. Did he kill the King?
4. Did the King receive a letter from Guy Fawkes?
5. Did the conspirators survive?
6. Were English people in favour of the King?
7. Is Guy Fawkes Night a happy celebration?
8. What do English people do on the 5th of November? (6 elements)